Monday, November 14, 2011

Back at it

After a long trip to Germany and some much-needed rest after six straight weekends of racing both Saturday and Sunday, I was back at it at Indian Lakes Resort, stops 9 and 10 of the ChiCrossCup. ILR is also the site for the New Years Resolution UCI races on December 31st and January 1. It's a GREAT venue for cyclocross. We had nice warm weather this weekend, but the indoor registration, restaurants and heated showers just steps from the course will certainly be welcome for the UCI races in two months.

Even though Saturday and Sunday's courses were virtually identical, my races were very different.  Saturday I had a great start and essentially led from start to finish.
Saturday's first lap. Photo: John Wrycza
Sunday was much more of a battle that eventually came down to Jason Rassi and I, at least until I flatted just past the pits with three laps to go. I rode half a lap with a flat tire. On the straight sections I was hardly at a disadvantage, but I had to take the turns (and there were lots of them!) very slowly. Special thanks to the unidentified lapped rider who was cheering/heckling me for a minute to catch Jason, then finally said "oh, you have a flat!" and offered me his wheel. That would have been against the rules, but it's the thought that counts. After a bike swap I rejoined in third place, but made it back up to second by the end of the race.

There are a bunch of races still to go on my calendar, including three days of Jingle Cross, the Illinois state championships, the Midwest championships, the New Years Resolution races, the national championships, and the master's world championships.  Wow, I sure am glad I took a week off from racing!

No comments:

Post a Comment